Saturday, December 2, 2006

Who Is This Guy?

Who is this guy?
One of the reasons the Academy has an Advisory Board is to have reliable people with whom to discuss ideas. One of them suggested I do something I'm not accustomed to: Brag. Well, not brag exactly. He suggested that many people out there might want to know why they should trust their money and time to the American Academy of Landscape Design. What does Tim have to offer? Who exactly is he and what qualifies him to teach me or my employees?

Well, here goes.

I graduated from Duke University in 1986 with a degree in Landscape Design. To this day it is highly likely that I am still the only person on the planet to be honored by Duke with such a degree. Without going into too much detail, Duke allows a student to design his or her own major. Why do such a thing? It's complicated, but suffice it to say that as a sophomore English major, I found myself surrounded by pre-law students. Yeah, I know. I had to get out. Duke did not have a major that fit me, so I made my own.

Good or bad, I've always been one to question the "norm" and explore other routes. The AALD follows that same path.

From Duke, I went to England's Inchbald School of Design. It was not accredited at the time, though it is now a Masters program. ("If you want to study cooking, go to France; if you want to study gardens, go to England," I reasoned.). After a year of intense, life-changing study, I returned home to the Chicago area and ultimately put up a shingle and started Garden Concepts.

Now, 18 years later, the American Academy of Landscape Design is born.

In those 18 years (here's the bragging part), my company has been successful in many areas. Following is a sampling from the resume.

Press Mentions
Have had mentions, interviews, projects profiled, or written articles in more than 60 publications. Although many are magazines and newspapers, included in these numbers are 5 Sunset Books, one This Old House book, a Harris Publications project called Backyard Ideas by Barbara Ballinger due out in spring 2007 (7 projects included), and an English book called The Book of Plans for Small Gardens by Andrew Wilson due out in 2007(4 projects included). In 2006 we also had a project featured in Better Homes and Gardens. Some details are here, though the list is not completely up to date.

Awards
Have won awards from ASLA, APLD, PPA and ILCA, including APLD's Harry Schuster Service Award in 2002.

Industry Connections and Credentials
APLD certified (lifetime); Full member of ASLA; certified arborist (ISA); past president of APLD (1998-99) member of its Past Presidents Council; founding member and first president of Midwest Chapter of APLD. Recently left the board of the Landscape Design Association after nearly 10 years. Member of the following organizations: ANLA, APLD, ASLA, GWA (Garden Writers Association), LDA, MNLA. OLA (Ohio), PPA, PLANET (Michigan), VNLA (Virginia). More on the geeky side, I'm also a member of American Mensa and the Conjuror's Corner magic club.

Lecturing/Speaking
Have spoken to many different groups in 11 different states and Canada. For testimonials about teaching and lecturing, see here.

For some design client testimonials, see here.


Honestly, probably my least favorite topic is myself. I'd much rather talk about Duke Basketball, the Cubs' prospects for next year (Fonzi has arrived!), or (dare I say it?) the Bears' chances to reach the big game in February. Thanks for bearing with me. So if you'd like to discuss any of those topics, or landscape design, please give me a call. Or we can talk pinewood derby, health and fitness or magic tricks!

2-4-1 still available for Jan and Feb courses. See here.


"Imagination is more important than knowledge." --Albert Einstein
Imagination is a tool critical to good design. Join us to sharpen your creative tools.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and am sure you will have a good ride on the blogwagon.

Rick Anderson said...

-Post more
-Post Pictures
-Keep posting links
-Post a pic of yourself in your profile. People want to know what you look like, it's the connection.
-Keep newsletter separate from blog, or learn to consider that in today's reality your Blog is really your newsletter.
-Make it easy for folks to get your feed.
-Set up your Blog to allow people to receive it as an e-mail.
Post, post, post if you want others to find and read you.

Tim I got more but that's enough for now.

Tim Thoelecke said...

Thanks Rick and Elizabeth for your constructive comments.