Monday, February 5, 2007

Reflections on ANLA Management Clinic

I just returned from the ANLA's Management Clinic in Louisville, KY. It's been at least 10 years since I last attended this terrific green industry conference. If you have not ever been, you're missing out. I hope to make this an annual event from now on.

It's been held at the Galt House in Louisville for thirty-some years now. Attendance this year was somewhere around 1200. I met folks from Texas, California, Washington (DC and state), Florida, New York, Texas, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, Kansas, Iowa and Illinois. And quite a few from Ontario.

The keynote speaker most were interested in was William McDonough. Though I'm not yet a "true believer," his presentation was compelling and well-constructed. I really enjoyed the keynote the following day by Dan Heath, co-author of a new book called "Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die." As a designer and small business owner, I really find the concept interesting. I've started the book and look forward to making my way through it.

Quotes from the Clinic (some paraphrased):

"When get up in the morning and do something with intent, you are designing." (William McDonough)

"Leadership is doing the right things. Management is doing those things in the most efficient way ." This is not unlike "Leaders manage people. Managers manage tasks." I prefer "Managers have subordinates. Leaders have followers." In any case, the concept is important.

"We are all waves in the same ocean–different, but the same."

And a couple from Mid Am

"We are all teachers...all the time. We are constantly teaching everyone around us who we are and what we believe life is all about." (Dr. John Powers)

"We can either learn from someone or judge them but we cannot do both. One eliminates the possibility of the other." (Dr. John Powers)

No comments: